Mercy Sister Edwarda Barry, 89, died July 20 at McAuley Hall Health Care Center, Watchung.
Sister Edwarda was born in Trenton, where she attended Blessed Sacrament Grammar School and Cathedral High School. After entering the Sisters of Mercy in 1942, she attended Georgian Court College, Lakewood; and earned a Ph.D. in sociology at Fordham University, Bronx. N.Y.
She taught in St. John the Evangelist School, Lambertville; St. John School, Collingswood; and St. Mary School, South Amboy. She became the first chair of the Sociology Department at Georgian Court. She worked in Social Concerns at the Cathedral of St. Francis of Assisi Parish, Metuchen; was the local leader of the Sisters in St. James Parish, Red Bank.
Sister Edwarda was a co-founder of the House of Prayer at Mount Saint Mary, Watchung, and co-director of the Center for Christian Concerns at Georgian Court. She was also an assistant to the president of the college and currently was its historian.
Sister Edwarda loved her Mercy family and was a devoted member of the Barry family. She is survived by devoted cousins, nieces, nephews, grandnieces, and grandnephews of her deceased brothers Ted and Jack Barry of Trenton.
A funeral Mass was celebrated July 24. Burial was in Holy Redeemer Cemetery, South Plainfield.
Memorial contributions may be made to: Sisters of Mercy Mid-Atlantic Community, 1645 Highway 22, Watchung, NJ 07069
Arrangements were handled by Higgins Home for Funerals, Inc., Watchung.